Quoting the words of Nobel laureate Amartya Sen - "A person may have little means of commanding food if he or she has no job, no other sources of income, no social security. The hunger that will result can coexist with a plentiful supply of food in the economy and the markets." ..
Its hard to believe the fact that - " According to UNICEF, rate of malnourishment in India is worse than Africa".... Yes, its true - In India, a whoping 46% of children under the age of three are undernourished....
Its unfortunate that we talk to about booming economy of India, where are children are starving and dying out of malnutrition......:(
.....and this calls for a responsibility from us to lend a helping hand to stop this hunger epidemic and contribute our level best to raise to funds for campaigns like FAHC.
'Feed A Hungry Child', initiated by our fellow blogger VKN of My Dhaba, is a mission to collect $ 3,360 by Oct 23rd 2007. Lets ChipIn to bring smiles to these FAHC children .
Spread the word, donate smiles....and realize that tackling children's malnutrition is no child's play. Its a serious problem that needs to be addressed through greater synergy from all of us and campaigns like FAHC...:)
How to Contribute:
1. Click on Chip-in to donate funds using PayPal or a valid credit card. Please be patient as it could take a few seconds to load. Each $25 donation will give you one raffle ticket for a prize of your choice.
( The prizes are listed below.)
2. After you donate, please forward your payment confirmation message to email@example.com, clearly specifying which prize or prizes you are interested in. Do mention how many tickets per prize, for example, a donation of $50 will buy you 2 raffle tickets for a cookbook.
3. For all correspondence by email, please use the same email address that you have used for your Chip-in contribution. This helps us validate your entry to the raffle and to contact you should you win a prize.
4. The event will be close on 23rd October, 2007 and raffle prize winners will be announced on 25th at Mahanandi, Jugalbandi and at Siri's Corner.(The drawing will be done manually).
More about FAHC campaign: Click here and here.
The following are the prizes you can win by participating in the event:
1. Grains, Greens and Grated Coconuts by Ammini Ramachandran - by Indira.
2. A Gift Box of Spice Extracts - by Anjali Damerla of Supreme Spice.
3. Two copies of Complete Digital photography by Ben Long - by Bee and Jai.
4. Two autographed copies of Indian Home Cooking by Suvir Saran - Donated by the chef and author Suvir Saran.
5. Two autographed copies of the just released cookbook American Masala by Suvir Saran - Donated by the chef and author Suvir Saran.
6. Two prizes: Dinner for two each, wine included, at Suvir Saran’s restaurant Dévi in New York City - Donated by chef and owner of Dévi, Suvir Saran.
7. Two ready-to-wear children’s sarees in red and green colors.- by Manisha of Indian Food Rocks.
8. Two Fair Trade Goodie Bags - by Padmaja of Spicy Andhra.
9. Mountain Valley Oil Painting - Shilpa of Aayi's Recipes.
10. A beautiful Personalized Ceramic "Vindu" Plate - by Mythili of Vindu.
11. Dark Chocolate made with Icewine - by Richa of As Dear As Salt.
12. Cooking at Home with Pedatha by Jigyasa Giri, Pratibha Jain - by Shruthi.
13. Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India by Chandra Padmanabhan - by Shruthi.
14. Essential Andhra Cookbook with Hyderbadi & Telangana Specialities ~ by Latif I Bilkees - by Shruthi.
15. Madhur Jaffrey’s World Vegetarian - by Shruthi
16. Indian Cooking ~ by Madhur Jaffrey - by Maria
17. One Year Subscription to “The Red Chilli” at www.sanjeevkapoor.com by Madhuli of My Food Court.
To add to this list is Rachel Ray's '30-minute meals' cookbook.
Rachel Ray is a best-selling author of many cookbooks and well-known for her quick, yet tasty and delectable meals. Yumm-O !!
You can find the review of the book here.
Amazon Link : here
The list is getting bigger and bigger.. So, contribute and win a chance to grab one of these goodies. These prizes make great gifts, and each item will be sent to the raffle winner neatly packed and shipping expenses paid.
Thanks to Indira and B&J for their wonderful thought.
On an ending note, October 15th is BLOG ACTION DAY - to create awareness about our environmental problems. and they say:
".....don’t forget that if you can, it would be great if you could either tag your posts with the words “Blog Action Day” or simply use those three words somewhere in your post as we will be measuring how many times the phrase appears in the blogosphere today ...."
So, do mention the words - "BLOG ACTION DAY" in your posts..:D