Plantains - 2
Tamarind Extract - 3/4 tbsp ( can be varied acc to our taste)
Salt - to taste
Curry leaves - few
Turmeric - 1/4 tbsp
Chopped Garlic - 1/2 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Black Spilt lentil seeds (Urad Dal) - 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1tbsp
Cumin Seeds - 1tbsp
Red Chillies - 1 or 2
Asafoetida - a pinch
How to make:
1. Peel off the skin of Plantains and cut into small pieces. Cook them for a while with some water until tender. Once cooled, mash them and keep aside.
2. In a flat skillet, heat oil, and add urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida and red chillies and let them splutter.
3. Then add curry leaves and chopped garlic. Cook until the raw taste of garlic is gone.
4. Now add the mashed plantain pieces, season with salt and turmeric. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Finally add the tamarind extract diluted in little water. Mix the contents well and let it cook for couple of minutes.
6. Serve hot with a heap of rice and a dollop of ghee.. Yummy..:D
Off this goes to Charlotte's Great Big Veggie Challenge as this week's vegetable is our 'PLANTAIN'..
P.S: The spice levels can be varied according to one's taste.
Hope Freddie - her 7 year old adorable son loves it!..:)
Adieu for now folks and Have a great weekend!