'You are, what you eat'.. Food that we take everyday has the power to protect & heal us and they are our first line of defense to fight off our illness. Surprising as it may sound, following a simple diet & skin regime - just by making sure you have 'certain foods' in your daily diet-in-take can make a lot of difference and they become key contributors for a very healthy well-being.
..this new series - 'Healing Foods' aims at focusing one food item, every month by highlighting their health benefits and challenging you to come up with recipes in their most 'healthy form'. The event was first kick-started in January 2010 with its first theme as Avocado.
Here are some basic rules of participation -
1. Create a vegetarian dish, based on monthly theme and post the same in your blog. Eggs are allowed. Non-Bloggers can send their recipes with the details mentioned below to the same email address.
2. Please link this announcement and the guest host's announcement page in your posts. Usage of the logo is optional.
3. Multiple entries are more than welcome - more the merrier!
4. Send your details - Name, Recipe URL and Photo (any size, optional) to
4. You can send previously blogged entries, provided they are re-posted!
5. Announcing special giveaways sponsored by me - beautiful books by Jigyasa & Pratibha of Pritya Books and two lucky winners (randomly selected by the guest host) will win the following award-winning books as give-aways. Trust me, I own both cookbooks & they are two little gems that everybody wanna treasure. :-). Also, one could use these vegetarian cookbooks as unforgettable gifts for their loved ones.
Awarded Best Vegetarian Cookbook in the World 2006, this book features traditional recipes by documenting the culinary legacy of an illustrious Indian grandmother.
Sukham Ayu - Easy & Healthy Recipes (Amazon Link)
Winner of Best Health & Nutrition Book in the World 2009 – Second Place, this Indian cookbook is a guide to healthy eating & has been researched at Kerala Ayurveda & Yoga retreat near Pune.
Note: Myself and the guest host are not eligible for the random drawing of the these giveaways..
If interested you can be the next guest host of Healing Foods, please email me the Month/Year you wish to host with the Theme to info(dot)siri(at)gmail(dot)com.
For a comprehensive healing foods list - Click here
Roundups already posted:
Feb 2010 - Avocado
March 2010 - Spinach
April 2010 - Capsicum/Bell Pepper
May 2010 - Pomegranate
June 2010 - Onion
July 2010 - Carrot.
August 2010 - Tomato
September 2010 - Beets
October 2010 - Agar Agar/ China grass
November - Broccoli
December 2010 - Winter Squash
January 2011 - Eggplant
February 2011 - Ginger/Garlic
March 2011 - Artichoke/Banana Flowers
April 2011 - Mango
May 2011 - Sukham Coolers
June 2011 - Banana
July 2011 - Whole Grains
August 2011 - Zucchini or Summer Squash
September 2011 - Berries
October 2011 - Coconut
Send in your entries to currently ongoing event - Yet to be announced
Thank you all and hope to see you participate in one of these Healing Food editions.