...though I was blog-hopping all this while, a little motivation - was the only thing required for me to get back! ...and Amy's post on Hunger Challenge gave me that push.
Some Hunger Facts, in USA -
Hunger Challenge Rules:
1. Spend just $4 a day or $28 a week (per person) for your entire food and drink budget. This is the average amount that food stamp recipients have to spend on food.
2. The $28 limit includes any food and drink consumed inside or outside of your home, as well as any staples or condiments you have on hand (salt, pepper and tap water are considered “free”).
3. Do not accept any free food from family, friends or at work (that means coffee, too!).
4. If you have a garden, please price-out any produce you source from your garden based on supermarket or farmers market prices in your area and include that cost in your $28 total.
It will be just me who is gonna take part in this week's Hunger Challenge and I will try my best to post my progress everyday here, on my blog!
Some useful links:
Hunger Challenge Recipes
Blog posts on Hunger Challenge 2008
Hunger Challenge posts from SuperChef
Hunger Challenge posts from Sig
50 items at Whole Foods for under $1.50
Couscous Avocado Salad
This salad, my dinner today is at its simplest best. Just with couple of ingredients, few of minutes of prep and you have a full meal in itself.
1. Boil 1/2 cup of water with 1/8 tsp of salt. Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup of Whole Wheat Couscous. Cover and keep aside for 5-7 mins. Fluff it with a fork, once done.
2. Meanwhile, slice half avocado into small slices.
3. In a mixing bowl, add couscous, avocado pieces with salsa and some hot pepper sauce. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Variation: Couscous can be substituted with any grain like brown rice, quinoa etc.
16 oz Couscous packet: $3.49; 1/2 Avocado: $0.83; Salsa (one whole bottle): $2.99; Hot pepper sauce (one bottle): $2.76
The quantities used for the recipe vary according to one's taste. But, the total cost would definitely be less than $2.
Have a good week ahead. cya soon!