Here I present my first recipe : " Vaangi- Ulli Theeyal " , a different version of Theeyal.
There are many yummy Theeyal recipies on various blogs - Anita's "Ulli Theeyal", Priya's "Theeyal Curry", Gini's spicy "Brinjal Theeyal" and many more.
I tried to make this recipe simple and easy to make. I used brinjals/eggplants and onions to make this version of Theeyal; To make it more nutritious, we can any vegetables available. After all, food is all about taste and health, Isn't it..:)
Here goes the list of ingredients
1. Brinjals - 2
2. Onions - 2
3. Oil - 4 tbsp
4. Salt, turmeric - as per taste
5. Chilli powder - 1 to 2 tbsp
6. Green Chillies - 2 to 3
7. Atta flour - 1 tbsp
8. Mustard seeds - 1/2 tbsp
9. Curry leaves - few
10.Tamarind paste - 1 tbsp
11.Hing - for taset
For Ground Masala
1. Coconut - 1 cup/ 4 tbsp
2. Tomaotes - 1
3. Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp ( or coriander powder - 1 tbsp)
4. Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
5. Milk - 1 cup
6. Curry powder - 1/2 tbsp
7. Redchillies - 2
8. Sugar - 1/2 tbsp
How to make:
1. Saute the finely chopped onions and brinjals in 1/2 tbp of oil till light brown color and keep aside
2. Again, in 1/2 tbsp of oil, roast the "Ground Masala" items and then grind till fine paste. Add water if needed.
4. Mix the atta flour in 3 tbsps of water to make a fine paste. This gives nice consistency to the dish.
3. Now, in a pan, take 2 tbsp of oil and add mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
then add chopped green chilies, sauted onions and brinjals with ground paste, atta flour paste, hing, tamarind water, turmeric, salt and sugar. Let this mixture simmer for few minutes.
4. Garnish with coriander leaves.
5.Serve with rice and ghee.